These instructions are specific ONLY to the Engineering Co-op Program and NEED to be completed BEFORE the START of EACH working semester.
International students in F-1 status are eligible to participate in the Co-op Program and work legally in the United States with Curricular Practical Training (CPT) authorization.
- International students must complete one full academic year of full-time coursework and must be pursuing an academic program to be eligible for CPT.
DO NOT start the CPT/ISSS paperwork until you have accepted the job offer. Once you have accepted the job offer, start the CPT authorization right away! This process needs to be completed before the start of each working semester, even if the semesters are back-to-back.
Do not delay starting on the paperwork! Students cannot begin employment until the CPT authorization is processed.The CPT authorization takes 7 business days to administer by the ISSS office and another 5 business days by the Co-op office. International students should communicate this time restraint with his or her employer so the student’s start date does not have to be pushed back to allow time for CPT authorization.
Paperwork required by ISSS:
Go to the ISSS website to get the instructions and specific forms, if they are not linked here.
- Student Request and Academic Adviser Verification form
- Financial Certification statement (if I-20 financial information will change by greater than 25 percent)
- A completed CPT form, signed by Frank Kelso, the director of Co-op Program.
- The CPT form must be completed by the student and dropped off in the Co-op office for the director’s signature.
- Allow 5 business days for this to be processed.
- A sample copy of a completed CPT form is in the Co-op office.
- Approval Letter from the Co-op Office. Submit the Co-op Approval Letter Request form as soon as possible after accepting the Co-op job offer, because it can take up to a week for the approval letter to be created.
- If you submit the Letter Request at the same time as dropping off CPT form, both will be ready for pickup at the same time.